Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Basking in goodness...

One of the joys I have at my local church is to lead in worship and to worship with other lead worshippers, and over the last year I have noticed a real deepening in our worship. Not that we were a shallow lot before this, but I know that I have learned to worship from a place of lack and need just as passionately as I have from a place of fulfillment.

One of the things I love about this shift is how our songs have really moved away from a theme of what we receive from God to songs about who God is, about his nature and how he is always faithful and good to us in all things. I usually lead once every four weeks in rotation with other leaders, and I find myself increasingly lost in God's confounding goodness in worship. I am so overcome that often all I can do is play my guitar because I am unable to sing or I am a sobbing mess and couldn't blubber a chorus to save the world.

I wanted to share some of the songs I keep coming back to in worship that keep that sense of overwhelming goodness fresh in my heart with you, so without further ado:

His Banner Over Me Is Love, by Kevin Prosch (with a nod to Capstone's rendition on Jesus Lifted High)


Your Love, by Eoghan Heaslip
Faithful, by Eoghan Heaslip




O Taste and See, by Brian and Jenn Johnson




How Can I Keep From Singing, by Chris Tomlin


You Are There (Psalm 139), by Joel Engle



Friend of God, by Lakewood Church




Worthy, by Matt Redman


Sometimes I wonder if people are tired of singing these songs as often as we do, but I inevitably can't escape that these songs are voices to what's gushing out of my heart towards God, and that I am better off worshipping through songs that reflect what's really in my heart than pumping out tunes that sound good but aren't coming from a genuine place in my spirit...

Wondering what songs you are worshipping to that are stroking the gotta-sing-about-how-good-God-is bone... Drop me a note and let me know- I'd love to hear what's moving you to move God's heart.

Rock on y'all- rock on....

No comments:

Post a Comment